Simplify and curb the chaos in your home by taking these steps to begin the process of decluttering your home.
- Have a Time Challenge: This means set the timer for 15 minutes so that the entire process does not overwhelm you. Be motivated to work and organize during those minutes and then take a break when the timer goes off! During those 15 minutes, it may encourage you to make quick decisions parting with items instead of having an emotional attachment to it.
- Take it One Room at a Time: Don’t feel like you need to declutter the entire house in one day! Declutter one room at a time before moving on to the next room. Enjoy the benefits of a clutter-free room and it will provide motivation to continue through the rest of the house.
- Designate three boxes as you sort through things – throw away, give away, and keep. Fill each box up accordingly but always strive to have the “keep” box with less items than the other 2 boxes. What a great feeling to be able to donate your items to someone in need!
- Get your family or a friend involved: Your friend has an untainted view of your items and may provide the new perspective you need to declutter. If family members are on board with your project, it will have long lasting effects. Make it a fun day to help you through the challenge!
- Change your habits: Once you declutter, think about the reasons WHY there was clutter. Make a change in those habits so that clutter doesn’t creep back into your home.
Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. Albert Einstein