This important day in history 240 years ago declared freedom for the United States. Here is a breakdown of what happened prior to our independence.
- Colonists were not happy with King George and Great Britain.
- Five men were selected to write a letter to King George expressing their frustration. They were John Adams, Robert Livingston, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, and Thomas Jefferson.
- The Declaration of Independence included three main points the thirteen colonies wanted to convey.
- They explained what they thought would be good government.
- They described the rules and taxes they felt were unfair.
- They wanted the colonies to be free and independent from Britain.
- This Declaration was signed by representatives of the thirteen colonies on July 4, 1776. Fifty six men signed this piece of history on parchment.
- Many believe the most famous and important words are: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.”
Let’s celebrate our freedom this July 4th!